The best thing you can do to improve your spelling is to read a lot and look up words that you don’t know in the Oxford dictionary. But here are some more focused suggestions for studying to do well in spelling bees.
- Learn as many words as you can.
- Get a copy of the OXFORD Dictionary if you can. It’s the official dictionary for the Kenya National Spelling Bee Championship.
- Study the most common words first.
- Write the words somewhere. Just writing the words will help you remember them.
- Focus on the words that are tough.
- Have a teacher, friend or family member help you by pronouncing the words.
- Learn more about prefixes, suffixes and other combining forms, as well as word origins (etymology). Increase your vocabulary by reading books, journals & newspapers…
- Study in groups.
- Play word games.