All spelling bees require knowledge of English. The more you know, the better you will perform.
Tips on how to perform well:
- Step forward (to the microphone, if there is one).
- Face the judges.
- Speak clearly and loudly enough so that they can hear you.
- Use the English alphabet.
- Many languages use the Roman alphabet. Do not use the names or sounds of the letters in French or any other language. Doing so will be considered an error.
- Repeat the word to make sure that you have heard it accurately.
- Rehearse the word in your mind before you begin spelling.
- Once you say a letter you are not allowed to take it back, even if you have not finished the word and know it is wrong.
- When you’ve finished spelling the word, repeat it. That way the judges know you are finished.
- Take your time.
- Asking questions is a good stalling tactic if you need more time to think about the spelling.
- If you spell your word correctly, be humble about it.